Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Engineer Jobs in Fort Bragg, NC at P3MS Inc.
Title: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Engineer
Company: P3MS Inc.
Location: Fort Bragg, NC
The Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Engineer will provide flight support for the test and evaluation of Counter-Unmanned Aircraft Systems (C-UAS) procured by the U.S. Government. To evaluate C-UAS candidate solutions, commercially available drones and custom built aircraft are flown to replicate a typical threat environment.
The UAS Engineer is responsible for piloting, maintaining, repairing, and modifying a fleet of Group 1-3 rotary and fixed wing aircraft and their sub-systems, to include flight controllers, communications systems, software, and ground support equipment. This includes designing, fabricating, and testing hardware components as well as modifying software to integrate various types of instrumentation to facilitate testing of payloads and different equipment configurations.
The ideal candidate:
1. Is self-motivated and extremely driven to succeed.
2. Prefers hands-on work that spans aerospace, mechanical, and electrical design.
3. Has a passion for R/C aircraft design, prototyping, and flight.
4. Will take ownership of a project from start to finish.
Typical tasks include:
1. Perform maintenance, disassembly, rework, repair, replacement, reassembly or adjustment of aircraft and subsystems in accordance with technical specifications, engineering instructions, and applicable regulations.
2. Perform launch and recovery including preflight inspections, operational checks, installing and payloads (cameras, datalinks, and test instrumentation), and postflight inspections.
3. Design and prototype mechanisms or other modifications for integrating test instrumentation and other payloads onto aircraft that includes appropriate documentation to support air worthiness reviews.
4. Maintain applicable required records, manuals, and inspection forms to include deficiency reports, maintenance analysis documents, configuration data changes, and other equipment records.
5. Interpret technical documentation including schematics, wiring diagrams, and software interfaces to determine the optimum approach for integrating payloads and other components onto aircraft.
6. Troubleshoot, isolate, and correct electrical, mechanical, and software malfunctions in minimum time using technical publications and analytic techniques.
7. Handle and protect proprietary information, intellectual property, and other sensitive information.
The UAS Engineer requires the following qualifications:
1. U.S. Citizen with clean background to obtain a Top Secret security clearance (Required)
2. Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or a related field and a minimum of two years of UAS work experience or a high school diploma with formal UAS training and a minimum of four years of UAS work experience.
3. Documented work history operating and maintaining unmanned aircraft, flight controllers, power systems, sensors, navigation, communications, and radio-controlled solutions. (Required)
4. Current FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate with small UAS rating. (Required)
5. Strong technology background and knowledge of troubleshooting techniques to include analytical and research skills for investigating problem solutions. (Required)
6. Considerable knowledge and experience with hand tools, soldering, and standard lab test equipment. (Required)
7. Experience integrating electrical and mechanical systems with microprocessors, logic controllers, motors, sensors, and actuators. (Desired)
8. Experience with prototype fabrication, including 3D printing and Computer Numerically Controlled (CNC) machining. (Desired)
9. SolidWorks expertise or similar Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) experience. (Desired)
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $65,000.00 – $70,000.00 per year
Paid time off
8 hour shift
UAS: 2 years (Required)
FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate (Preferred)
Top Secret (Preferred)
Willingness to travel:
Work Location: One location