System Safety SME Job at DXC Technology – in Aldershot
Contractually, all MOD programmes must have a safety and environmental management programme in place throughout the lifecycle with a designated Safety Subject Matter Expert (Safety SME) responsible for delivery of the proscribed safety artefacts and the provision of safety advice.
This role is for a Safety SME who can undertake the duties detailed below and enable DXC to meet all safety related contractual responsibilities. The majority of tasks, and resulting advice or artefacts, are predominantly software related, although hardware and health and safety aspects are also included. The Safety SME will also fulfil the role of Safety Manager for some projects where there is an additional requirement for a Safety Manager to satisfy DAOS accreditation requirements.
When acting as part of a Safety Team the Safety SME is required to manage the Safety Engineers and review their contributions to overall Safety Team deliverables.
Provide the safety assessments undertaken within the assigned workstream, which will involve the following activities:
- Review of new tasking for safety assessment;
- Review and safety assessment of Change Requests and Defects;
- Undertaking analysis of new functionality;
- Participation in Engineering Reviews;
- Attendance and input at Software Code Inspections
- Advising on MOD safety policies;
- Liaison with the Governance and Design Teams;
- Participation in Safety Panel/Working Group meetings;
- Examination of potential safety risks;
- Creation of safety strategies and plans;
- Design of safety aspects of the emerging solution;
- Safety options assessment;
- Maintenance of existing safety documentation.
Suitably qualified System Safety Engineer possessing:
- 7 – 8 years experience of safety engineering;
- Up-to-date knowledge of Government Policy and UK (and other relevant) legislation concerning Functional Safety and Health & Safety (e.g.: Def Stan 00-56, ASEMS (POSMS & POEMS), JSPs 375and 815);
- Knowledge of MAA Regulatory Publications;
- Knowledge and experience of working in the Defence Aviation Domain;
- Knowledge and experience of demonstrating functional safety with air platforms and support systems and associated standards (e.g. SAE ARP 4754, SAE ARP 4761, RTCA/DO-254);
- Demonstrable knowledge and experience of Safety and Environmental engineering techniques:
- Demonstrating functional safety within software intensive systems and associated standards (e.g. RTCA/DO-178B, RTCA/DO-200A, IEC 61508);
- Safety Management Plan production;
- Safety Argument development using Goal-Structuring Notation (GSN) or Claims-Argument-Evidence (CAE);
- Functional Failure Analysis (FFA); Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)/ Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA); Fault Tree Analysis (FTA)
- Hazard Identification (HAZID);
- Hazard and Operability Study (HAZOPS);
- Operating and Support Hazard Analysis (OSHA);
- Occupational Health Hazard Analysis (OHHA);
- Hazard Log development and management (using databases, such as DOORS and Cassandra/e-Cassandra);
- Safety Management Systems development at all stages of the programme (i.e. requirements, production and operational), including the presentation of appropriate safety cases;
- Safety Case Report production;
- Experience of stakeholder management within the Defence domain;
- Current SC clearance (as a minimum) is required.
- Knowledge and experience of working with Aircraft Mission Planning Systems.
- Knowledge of software development methods and safety related information systems.
- Some experience of software safety analysis and ideally some experience of software development.
- Knowledge of the MOD Sites within the UK.
The key personal skills include:
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Strong communication and meeting skills;
- Good writing skills;
- Methodical approach;
- Problem solving;
- Analytical skills;
- Ability to challenge/question via structured interaction;
- Proactive, self motivated and self starting;
- Time management.
About the Company
Company: DXC Technology –
Company Location: Aldershot