Safety Case Engineer Job at Babcock International – in Remote
City: Remote – Flexible Location
Job Title: Safety Case Engineer
Location: Remote – Flexible Location
Compensation: £ 38,000 – £48,447+ benefits
Role Type: Full time / Permanent
Role ID: 42975
Now is your opportunity to join Babcock as a Safety Case Engineer.
The Safety Justification Group (SJG) are looking for Nuclear Powered Warships (NPW) operating experienced Engineers to support the production, maintenance and development of Nuclear Safety Cases at HMNB Clyde. The role requires the successful candidate to justify Nuclear Propulsion (NP) activities and the impact on infrastructure at HMNB Clyde.
The successful candidate will support their Senior Safety Case Engineer to deliver safely, on time, to specification and within an agreed budget; whilst ensuring close liaison with all key stake holders throughout.
The role will home based but applicants, if accepted, will be expected to attend site as required by their project and/or line manager
Who we are looking for?
We are looking for a Safety Case Engineer preferably with experience as a Cat A Watchkeeper and demonstrable experience in the production and review of Nuclear Safety Cases and experience presenting their output to Safety Committees.
What will you be doing?
Your key responsibilities will include:
- Assist the Senior Safety Case Engineer in maximising the utilisation and the efficiency of all the departments’ resource.
- Ensure that all tasks are carried out in accordance with the Company’s cost, time and quality requirements.
- Produces robust Safety Justifications for the authorisation of operations affecting Nuclear Safety and Explosive Safety at HMNB Clyde in accordance with Ministry of Defence (MOD) Authorisation Conditions, Base Policies (Standards), Regulatory documentation, Naval Nuclear Safety Principles and Statutory Legislation.
- Responsible for the production and maintenance of Safety Cases and all supporting documentation.
- Conducts Fault Identification studies (e.g. Hazard Identification (HAZID) and Hazard and Operability studies (HAZOP) in accordance with appropriate site guidance in order to facilitate the development of the safety argument.
- Provides departmental input and verification into the base Maintenance Concession process and provide justification/assurance that any concessions presented to Authorisation Groups do not impact on the Safety Case for the Facility or Utility.
The experience you’ll bring
- Degree level qualification in an Engineering or Science discipline or a fully completed Engineering Apprenticeship plus further education to a minimum of HNC level (or equivalent qualification).
- Working knowledge of Naval Nuclear Reactor plants would be desirable.
- Proficient use of MS Office software, in particular MS Excel and MS Word.
- Well-developed presentation and communication skills
- Excellent relationship-building and networking skills.
- A good understanding of current nuclear relevant good practice and legislative/ regulatory requirements.
- A track record of making intelligent evidence based decisions using various sources of data.
- You should hold or have ability to obtain full SC Clearance
- Candidates must demonstrate that they meet and uphold our Purpose and Principles.
What a role with Babcock offers?
- Generous holiday entitlement
- Pension Plan
- Share Ownership Scheme
- Access to make a difference for a sustainable environment for future
- A tailored personal development and training programme.
- Autonomy. Trusted and empowered to deliver and be your best.
For more than a century, Babcock, the Aerospace and Defence company, has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability, and availability of their most critical assets within the four market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear, underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, unique infrastructure, and specialist training.
HM Naval Base Clyde is located 6 miles north of Helensburgh in the West of Scotland. We are well placed for commuter links to Glasgow and the wider region, but it is recommended for employees to travel by car due to the location.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the Armed Forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. Click here to find out more.
All applications should be made online.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages, please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Please follow the link when you apply to find out more about how COVID-19 is impacting Recruitment and On-boarding for applicants.
Closing Date: 26th May 2022
Job Segment: Safety Engineer, Engineer, Nuclear Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Engineering
About the Company
Company: Babcock International –
Company Location: Remote