Lead Finance Business Partner 12m FTC Job at Babcock International – in Bristol
Job Title: Lead Finance Business Partner
Business Unit: Mission Systems
About the role
We’re looking for someone who is commercially minded, dynamic, ambitious and eager to take on a business facing lead finance role in Babcock Mission Systems.
You will become a backbone of support to the business as it progresses through a period of transformation. The role will be a mixture of “hands on” work whilst also delegating to your small team and ensuring quality.
The difference you will make
Partnering with the Head of Business and reporting to the Head of Finance you will head up a small team and take responsibility for all aspects of Project Accounting as well as being a key driver of the growth agenda in both domestic and international markets.
Within the bounds of governance controls, delegated authorities and oversight that form company policy across contracts you will be given autonomy to lead the area in the way you see fit. Your responsibilities will include:
- The production of financial information for quarterly forecasting, budget and performance information.
- Line management responsibilities of 3 team members, including overseeing their continued development and growth.
- Providing the Head of Business with meaningful and accurate information that empowers them to drive financial performance of the area.
- Producing meaningful and accurate financial reports for the Head of Business and Head of Finance that show contract performance with variances from budget, previous forecasts & estimates to complete clearly explained.
- Collaborating with project managers, assisting them with their understanding of financial issues so they are equipped to foresee financial risks before they arise and take pre-emptive mitigating action.
- Supporting Project Managers during the (QCR) quarterly contracts reviews with the Mission Systems Board and be prepared to present in this forum as and when required.
- Submitting / producing contract invoices, in line with current procedures and compile cash forecasts in line with the company requirements.
- Producing reports that are required by the Finance Function and business streams.
- The delivery of appropriate revenue, profit, cash-flow & orders reconciliation for the portfolio of contracts at month end.
- Development of current processes and procedures to improve efficiency.
- Liaising with other parts of the Babcock group where necessary on intercompany contracts.
- Acting as an independent party within the delivery teams in upholding & maintaining our financial & control processes to achieve both internal and external audit compliance.
- Supporting Business Winning activities as required by the business to ensure that risks are identified, quantified and mitigated against during the bid submission process.
- Liaising with audit teams and ensuring the quality of information issued externally as part of the audit process.
The Head of Business and the Head of Finance will rely on you to present and articulate financial issues to them and you will need to build solid working relationships with the operational delivery teams in order to be successful in this role where relationships are based on respect, trust and collaboration.
What do I need to do the role?
You will solve complex problems by implementing simple and elegant solutions. You will be someone who continuously champions high performance, challenges the status quo, actively seeks out different perspectives and speaks up. You care about how things are done, not just getting to the end result therefor you behave respectfully towards your team, peers and leaders.
- Commercial awareness having spent time in a business facing role.
- Background of operating in an engineering or manufacturing environment.
- Familiar with the principles of project accounting.
- Track record of line management responsibility and leading a team.
- Has worked in a large organisation which operates on an ERP.
Skills and attributes
- Excellent listening and communication skills and can use them to understand requirements and tasking as well as influence others around them.
- A self-starter, who is performance driven with a desire to make a significant contribution/impact. Is able to work independently and as an active team member.
- An inclusive leader who has a passion for creating a great people experience and enabling a diverse and high performing culture. Someone who will delegate and hold people accountable appropriately, as well as to support, guide and coach.
- Be able to articulate and present financial issues to both finance and non-finance audiences in a clear concise way.
- Can cope with periods of pressure like those that occur around month end reporting periods and during forecasting cycles by having a hands on, flexible and self-motivated approach.
- Possess the ability to effectively manage your workload, time and stakeholders in order to meet requirements and priorities in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Understands the importance of adhering to deadlines at critical points in both the month and quarterly cycles and works well to sometimes tight timescales.
- Enjoys learning new systems and is proficient on excel and seeks more efficient ways of working.
Is prepared to travel as required.
- A critical thinker who can understand complex issues (balancing the detail and the big picture), using insight/data (evidence) and their judgement to make good decisions and have a positive impact.
Education and qualifications
- A qualified accountant with significant experience in PQE (either ACCA, ACA or CIMA).
In return for your skill and passion, you’ll get:
- Flexible working (full or part time considered, minimum 30 hours per week)
- Autonomy to perform the role
- The opportunity to make a real impact, partnering on an ambitious culture transformation programme within Babcock’s’ fastest growing business unit
As well as:
- Holiday entitlement: 25 days, plus bank holidays
- Pension scheme with employee pension contributions matched up to 8% of salary, with life assurance
- Our Babcock Rewards Platform allows you to choose from a range of benefits that best meet your needs, including: critical illness insurance, travel insurance, healthcare cash plan, dental insurance, childcare vouchers, bike scheme, shopping offers and discounts
- Employee Share Scheme
- Free, independent employee assistance programme, offering confidential information, support and counselling, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year
- Professional memberships, personal development training and opportunities
- If you are a reservist in the armed forces, we provide up to ten days special paid leave in support of your training commitments
Where it all fits in:
Mission Systems forms a critical, and growing part of Babcock’s Marine organisation. As a trusted provider for global defence & security, we have a wide portfolio of best in class technical solutions that enable our customers to carry out their missions. It’s a really exciting and fast paced business carrying out a diverse range of activities. Mission Systems employs over 1,200 people across the UK and overseas with the largest sites based in Bristol, Plymouth and Ashchurch.
The Critical Communications Business Unit is over 200 personnel strong with in excess of 70% skilled Engineering staff. We have an ever increasing portfolio of opportunities and an ambition for success and to grow. We also embrace the multitude of internal employee networks support and foster diversity and inclusion within our Babcock team, connecting people across the business and empowering them to achieve their potential. Our Diversity and Inclusion strategy amplifies their influence.
Other need to knows:
- You must be able to achieve the appropriate security clearance level for this role
- We are happy to talk about flexible working. Please ask about alternative patterns of work at interview.
Please let your line manager know that you’re applying for this vacancy. You should also let them know if you are attending an interview or assessment for a role.
Please note that you will not be able to access the vacancy details after the closing date so you may wish to keep a copy of this advert and any supporting documents for your records.
All applications should be made online. Please use a desktop PC or laptop to create your account, then you’ll be able to apply to jobs from mobile devices. If you experience difficulties, please click here. Recruitment correspondence is normally by email so please check your email account and spam folder regularly.
We are committed to building an inclusive culture and strive to attract talent who thrive in an inclusive and flexible working environment. If you have a disability or need any reasonable adjustments during the application and selection stages please let us know and will respond in a way that best fits your specific needs.
Armed Forces Covenant
We are proud to support the armed forces community by honouring the Armed Forces Covenant. We recognise the value that Serving Personnel, both Regular and Reserves, Veterans, Uniformed Cadet Instructors and Service Families contribute to our business and the United Kingdom. As part of the Covenant, Babcock offers Reservists and Uniformed Cadet Instructors up to 2 week’s special paid leave to help them meet their commitments.
Babcock International Group
For more than a century, Babcock has been trusted to deliver bespoke, highly skilled engineering services. We help customers in the UK and around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within four market sectors; Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear. We’re committed to providing a great employee experience in a supportive and engaging environment. You’ll benefit from excellent career and learning and development opportunities to ensure that you grow and achieve your full potential.
This role is within the Marine Sector of Babcock International Group, which delivers a wide array of complex through-life marine engineering services to defence and civil customers across the globe. These range from UK and international naval fleet support, commercial marine, engineering consultancy, weapons handling, equipment support, intelligence, cyber security and training.
Job Segment: Engineer, Nuclear Engineering, ERP, Engineering, Technology
About the Company
Company: Babcock International –
Company Location: Bristol