Development Engineering Technical Lead Job at Rolls-Royce Derby
Development Engineering Technical Lead
Working Location: Derby/Hybrid
Working Pattern: Full Time
We have an exciting opportunity available for a Technical Lead to join the Development Team in the Trent 1000 and Trent7000 projects.
This uniqueopportunity is available within the Product Systems and Maturity Trent 1000 and 7000 Development Team. The systems and maturity team are responsible for the product systems of the engine (e.g. oil, air, TCC, EBAS, noise etc.) as well as defining the overall maturity strategy for the engine types (including support of FRACAS and Service sampling where required).
Join us and we’ll provide an environment where you can be yourself. An inclusive, digital-first culture that invests in you, gives you a platform for continuous learning, and access to an incredible breadth and depth of opportunities to grow your career.
The role of Technical Lead involves ensuring delivery of these workstreams by leading their assigned team of Development Engineers, whilst working in a demanding, high visibility, challenging and dynamic environment where there is significant visibility of both the internal and external Customer.
The team is currently heavily involved in critical in-service investigations, safety and time on wing modifications as well as supporting several urgent engine tests. The team is currently involved in the whole range of development engineer activities including: verification strategies, designing experiments, building and testing engines and standardizing (certifying) modifications. Development is a fun, supportive environment with many opportunities to develop both technical and interpersonal skillsets.
At Rolls-Royce, we pioneer the power that matters to our customers, to society and to the planet.
We deliver the best jet engines in the world. Through intelligent innovation and active collaboration, we’re putting our customers at the forefront of the aviation industry – and we keep them there. Our product portfolio powers more than 35 types of commercial aircraft, and with over 13,000 engines in-service around the world; we’re keeping the world flying.
We offer excellent development, a competitive salary and exceptional benefits. These include bonus, employee support assistance and employee discounts.
Your needs are as unique as you are. We encourage flexible working arrangements and support hybrid working wherever possible, so you can always be at your best – wherever and whenever you work.
What you’ll be doing:
The Technical Lead forms a key part of the leadership team responsible for the main work streams:
- Defining and delivering the on-going verification strategies in line with the product system and sub-system requirements.
- Defining and delivering the appropriate experiments and hardware to enable the execution of the Engine Development Programme, with testing and test facilities spanning multiple sites and countries.
- Technically lead and develop a team of development engineers & technicians ensuring efficient task and priority management through Agile Programme Management.
- Build a high-performing relationship between your team, sub-systems, product systems and project seniors.
- Own the validation and verification of design packages, ensuring compliance with specification including but not limited to safety, technology development, certification and maturity requirements.
- Ensure via robust structured verification that design packages meet the criteria specified by the Project, Business & Regulatory Bodies.
- Create integrated validation programmes including rigs, engine, and flight-test as appropriate, taking technical ownership.
- Ensure the integration of Development activities via close and effective team working with other areas of the team, sub-systems and product systems.
- Work with the build, test and strip areas to create effective relationships and teams, capable of efficient and effective problem solving.
- Ensure that efficient and effective methods to gather test evidence are planned and available, that experiments are effectively managed to deliver quality data to support technology and product development.
- Develop the leadership, management and technical capability of the team, via coaching, motivation and training, in support of the Development Function strategy.
- Ensure that lessons learned are recorded & implemented across the business.
- Support PDRs and development cells, and assist the Development function as required.
- Deputise for the Project Development Engineer as required.
What we’re looking for:
Being a part of Rolls-Royce, you’ll know we embrace agility, are bold, pursue collaboration and seek simplicity in everything we do. These principles form our values and behaviours and are an essential component of our assessment process and are fundamental qualities that we seek for all roles.
- You will be educated to the degree level in an engineering, scientific or mathematical discipline. Alternatively have mature years within the Industry having gained significant Knowledge, experience, and skill set, that are transferable to the role.
- You will have sound engines / gas turbines knowledge and the ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment.
- You will be motivated and have good interpersonal and communication skills.
- You will be able to demonstrate a flexible and proactive approach to a broad range of tasks.
- You will have demonstrated the ability to plan, lead and deliver tasks, including scheduling the work of others.
- You will have excellent problem-solving skills and experienced in report writing
Join us & Power our Future
Pioneers of Power
We are an equal opportunities employer. We’re committed to developing a diverse workforce and an inclusive working environment. We believe that people from different backgrounds and cultures give us different perspectives. And the more perspectives we have, the more successful we’ll be. By building a culture of respect and appreciation, we give everyone who works here the opportunity to realise their full potential.
We welcome applications from people with a refugee background.
You can learn more about our global Inclusion strategy at
Closing Date: Midnight, 5th of October
Validation and Verification
21 Sep 2022; 00:09
About the Company
Company Location: Derby