Data Scientist / Analyst Job at Babcock Victoria, BC
Data Scientist / Analyst
Underpinned by a deep understanding of technology integration, asset management, and specialist training, Babcock International works with customers around the world to improve the capability, reliability and availability of their most critical assets within the key market sectors of Marine, Land, Aviation, and Nuclear.
In Canada, Babcock works in the Marine sector, where our teams provide critical and complex support to Canada’s submarine fleet. Our Canadian team is proud to be trusted to deliver key naval in-service support for the Royal Canadian Navy. We also operate in the Aviation sector, where Babcock ensures that the aircrew trainees of our partner nations receive the world’s best flying training. We deliver vital aerial emergency services and are proud to have been selected by the Government of Manitoba to deliver their wildfire suppression services, as well as key components of their critical air ambulance services. As well, we have expanded into the Canadian Nuclear Energy Industry. Cavendish Nuclear, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Babcock International Group, is a leading nuclear services company with a growing national and global presence. Drawing on over 60 years of nuclear experience, Cavendish Nuclear provides specialized service solutions in Canada, with global capabilities across the entire nuclear life cycle.
Whether it is providing technical training instruction, developing training materials or maintaining critical training assets, Babcock is trusted by its customers to deliver world-class training solutions.
Our business relies on our people delivering their best day in and day out. As individuals, we all make a difference to our colleagues, our customers and others who we interact with on a daily basis. Collectively at Babcock, our employees embody the ‘Being Babcock’ principles that help make us great at what we do:
- Always strive to deliver
- Build great relationships based on trust
- Safeguard customers’ reputations
- Never compromise on health and safety
- Challenge ourselves and each other
- Respect people and value their diversity
- Thrive on complexity
- Trust our people to deliver
We encourage you to explore our Babcock Canada website to learn more about us at www.babcockcanada.com.
This is an exciting opportunity to work on Business Intelligence and Data Science projects in the defence and aerospace (D&A) sector.
In this role, you will:
- Work with business users and subject matter experts (SME’s) throughout the Business Intelligence and data science lifecycle.
- Develop Business Intelligence and data science solutions to support business processes within the organization and support updates to existing solutions.
- Provide analytical and technical support for complex requests, projects, or initiatives.
- Capture and interpret business requirements in the form of user stories.
- Write technical documentation for new and existing solutions.
- Work with the business to ensure appropriate governance is applied and adhered to in accordance with Business Intelligence and Data Science best practices.
The ideal candidate brings:
- A post-secondary degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Statistics, or 2 years relevant experience in a similar role
- Experience conducting data analysis with one or more of the following (Power BI, R, Python)
- Proficient with the use of data visualization tools (Power BI or Tableau)
- Technical writing skills with experience in gathering and documenting user requirements and the ability to produce documents ranging from specifications to user manuals.
- Proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19, meaning that you must have received the full series of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by the Government of Canada with the final dose at least 14 days prior to your start date
- You are eligible for a Canadian Secret Security and ITAR Clearance
Desired (An Asset):
- Knowledge of Database Architecture and delivering solutions within Database Systems (SQL & NOSQL)
- Implementation of Extraction, Transformation and Load (ETL) flows.
- Implementation and deployment of machine learning algorithms
- Advanced knowledge of statistical models
- Knowledge of Agile (Scrum/Kanban) methodologies and practices.
Applicants, please apply online at
Babcock Canada supports the safety and wellbeing of our employees through the following programs:
- Contributions towards an employee’s physical and mental health
- Wellness days
- Supportive work life balance: flexible work schedule and competitive annual vacation time off
- Comprehensive health and dental benefits
- Pregnancy and Parental Leave top-up available
- Employer matching of employee retirement contribution
- Employee recognition and bonus programs
- Support of professional development and reimbursement of membership dues
- Relocation assistance for individuals and families
Babcock is committed to promoting a workforce without boundaries. One that welcomes everyone to contribute to our success regardless of race, nationality, colour, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, disability or age. If you require accommodation during any stage of our recruitment process, please let us know how we can assist you.
About the Company
Company Location: Victoria, BC