Cloud Solutions Architect (AWS) Job at NAVBLUE Inc. – in Waterloo, ON
Position Type: Full Time
Department: Software Factory
Location: Waterloo Office
We are looking for an experienced Solutions Architect to join our cross-functional architecture team to lead and support development efforts.
The Solutions Architect will report to the Head of the Architecture and System Team and will bring extensive experience in designing and deploying software solutions to NAVBLUE. In this role, the Solutions Architect will be accountable for the architecture and prioritization of enabler work for one or more products. The architect will work directly with Product Management, Product Owners, fellow architects, Chapter Leads, the development teams and other stakeholders to identify and elaborate solution requirements. The architect will architect and design feasible solutions that align to the business objectives and organizational standards. The architect will also work with the development teams to deliver the solutions and evolve the architecture and design as needed.
In addition, strong technical skills will be needed to properly understand NAVBLUE technical solutions and govern those solutions against their requirements, organizational standards, and quality requirements while promoting decentralized decision making. The architect will also help stabilize and accelerate products by helping the squads with difficult stories or issues as needed while empowering the team by training and mentoring.
The architect will also collaborate and coordinate with architects, and other stakeholders such as Tribe Leads, Chapter Leads, Product Managers, Product Owners, the Head of Security, the Solutions team, and Methods and Tools to define and evolve our organizational standards and best practices, common solutions and governance.
As part of our team, the architect will also gather/document/analyze/align requirements, perform research, assess existing systems, design new systems, help teams solve difficult problems, oversee development teams, create proof of concepts, and write production code.
To be successful in this role, you need to be a team player with a strong technical background and excellent communication skills.
- Collaborate with stakeholders to align the technical solution with the business requirements.
- Create, maintain, and prioritize the enabler work in the program backlog and help development teams understand and break down the features into user stories as needed.
- Create and keep up to date architecture specifications and design documents as the architecture evolves.
- Continually assess the architecture and govern the implementation against the evolving requirements and evolve the architecture accordingly.
- Make architecture and design decisions and ensure compliance with those decisions.
- Assess planned and existing architectures.
- Create proof of concepts.
- Assist and collaborate with other architects.
- Accelerate/assist teams build architecture runway and solve difficult problems by working with the team to produce production level code (including tests) while transferring knowledge to the team to promote decentralized decision making.
- Conduct research.
- Find and raise issues with a product’s architecture or existing processes.
- Provide technical leadership to development teams.
- Collaborate with other professionals to create/align/evolve development processes and standards.
- Define and implement tools to govern product architectures such as automated compliance checks.
- Promote continuous integration/deployment and assist teams in this area.
- Keep current with latest trends.
- Self/group learning to build the skills and knowledge necessary to support the squads and tribes.
- Present the architecture to stakeholders.
The main outputs include:
- Up to date architecture specifications and design docs.
- A prioritize list of enabler work in the program backlog.
- Assessments of the alignment of the product architecture with industrialization standards as well as risk and impact assessments.
- Create and keep up to date Risk and Impact Assessments with Stakeholders.
- Create/update Architecture Decision Records (ADRs).
- Create research and assessment documents.
- Create proof of concepts.
- Produce production level code.
- Create architecture presentations and present the architecture to stakeholders.
- Create automated compliance checks.
- Produce/align/evolve standards and solutions for accelerating squads and governing product architectures.
- Conduct/participate in architecture, design, and code reviews.
· Solid experience as an Architect
· Extensive software development experience
· Must work effectively with others in a team environment.
· Strong experience with multiple but not necessarily all the following:
o Architecting mobile applications.
o Architecting web application.
o Architecting cloud solutions with a preference for AWS.
o Application architecture.
o Distributed systems. E.g., Microservices, SOA, Service-based architectures, Event-driven architectures
· Container and container management experience, and ideally (but not necessarily) Docker and ECS
· Strong experience with infrastructure as code, automated deployments, and continuous integration/deployment
· Strong programming skills in multiple languages including one or more of the following: C#, Java, or C/C++
· Strong knowledge of software design including design patterns, algorithms, asymptotic upper bound, the SOLID principles, and clean code.
· Strong knowledge of architecture design including architecture patterns and anti-patterns.
· Strong experience with unit testing, and ideally (but not necessarily) TDD
· Strong experience with ATDD and/or BDD
· Strong written and oral communication skills
· Experience with Agile Scrum, and ideally (but not necessarily) Kanban and SAFe.
· Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, or equivalent
· Certified AWS Solutions Architect – Associate or equivalent (Nice to have).
Located in the heart of University of Waterloo’s David Johnston Research + Technology Park, NAVBLUE is close to shops, restaurants, gyms, daycare, and many other amenities, and only 10 minutes away from Hwy 85. The modern design of our suite on the second floor of the Accelerator Centre draws its inspiration from airport terminals, and features bright, open work stations, rather than boxed-in cubicles. As part of our family, you will enjoy:
· Flexible hours
· Hybrid working environment
· Free parking
· Strong work-life balance
· Casual dress code (shorts and jeans welcome!)
· Competitive flexible group benefits plan
· RRSP matching program
· Referral program
· Rewards and Recognition program
· Training and Development Support
· Monthly Lunch and Learns
· Fitness & Wellness reimbursement
· Weekly healthy snacks and holiday lunches
· An active social committee
· Lunch hour sporting activities (hockey, soccer, volleyball etc.) with a shower on site
· And much more!
Not to mention, the aviation industry’s ongoing digital transformation means we must continually innovate and rise to the many challenges faced by our geographically diverse customers. We are always looking for creative ways to improve our processes and technologies to be a leader in the highly competitive aviation market.
How to Apply:
Candidates who are interested in joining the NAVBLUE team are invited to submit their resume and cover letter, highlighting their work experiences and skills via indeed.
We thank all applicants for applying. Only selected applicants will be contacted.
NAVBLUE, an Airbus company, welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations will be available on request for candidates throughout the entire recruitment and selection process
NAVBLUE is proud to have been recognized as one of Waterloo Area’s Top Employers for 2021. Based on eight criteria: physical workplace, work atmosphere and social, health financial and family benefits, vacation and time off, employee communication, performance manager, training and skills development and lastly community involvement, it was determined that we offer some of the most progressive and forward-thinking programs within the area.
NAVBLUE was also recognized as one of Canada’s Best Employers for Recent Graduates in 2021. We are excited and grateful for both these recognitions. We realize that it is our employees that have allowed us to succeed and will allow us to continuing succeeding.
NAVBLUE, an Airbus Company, is a leading global provider of flight operations solutions, including aeronautical charts, navigation data solutions, flight planning, aircraft performance software (take-off/landing, weight and balance), and crew planning solutions. These products directly support millions of flights each year and help NAVBLUE customers maximize efficiency, reduce costs, ensure compliance with complex national and international safety regulations, and effectively deliver their services.
Through digital and collaborative innovation, our passionate and customer-focused team develops solutions to enhance the safety and efficiency of air transport. Over the last few years, Airbus has been supportive of various initiatives such as Going Digital, Performance Based Navigation Services, Air Traffic Management Modernization Programs, FlySmart on iOS and other digital projects related to new aircraft technologies; the launch of NAVBLUE was therefore a natural step to further develop its Flight Operations and Air Traffic Management Portfolio.
NAVBLUE is a fully owned subsidiary of Services by Airbus, fueled by the agility of Airbus ProSky and Navtech (acquired in 2016), and the pioneering spirit of Airbus, NAVBLUE was created in July 2016 with one mission: lead aviation into the digital age.
NAVBLUE is based in Hersham (UK), Cardiff (UK), Toulouse (France), Waterloo, ON (Canada), Bangkok (Thailand) and Malmö (Sweden), with other offices all around the world.
Job Types: Full-time, Permanent
Salary: $1.00-$5.00 per year
- Casual dress
- Company events
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Discounted or free food
- Employee assistance program
- Employee stock purchase plan
- Extended health care
- Flexible schedule
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- RRSP match
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- Work from home
- Temporarily due to COVID-19
About the Company
Company: NAVBLUE Inc. –
Company Location: Waterloo, ON