Civil Engineer I – Rail & Aviation Bureau Job at State of Vermont Barre, VT
The Agency of Transportation (VTrans) is seeking a passionate Civil Engineer to join the Rail & Aviation Bureau. Your work will be focused on providing safe and quality public transportation systems for three modes of transportation! The Bureau’s Project Delivery team manages a diverse portfolio supporting 304 miles of rail lines, 149 miles of rail trails, and 10 airports.
This job could be for you if:
- You want to Build a Better Vermont by implementing the historic Bipartisan Infrastructure Law;
- You are motivated by VTrans strategic goals of growing Vermont’s economy and transitioning to an energy efficient transportation system by improving freight and passenger rail infrastructure and supporting Vermont’s growing industry of electric aircraft development and General Aviation businesses;
- You enjoy learning and applying a diverse set of knowledge and skills to an everchanging set of problems and questions;
- You like to use your technical knowledge in delivering projects spanning airfield pavements, airport support facilities, bridges & culverts, rail-highway crossings, multi-use paths, and rail passenger platforms.
With the Rail & Aviation Bureau, Civil Engineers are involved with all aspects of a project. Assigned work may include project design, cost estimating, developing project schedules, CADD drawing, and construction inspection. Additionally, VTrans provides opportunities to progress your engineering career in technical design, project management, and other areas of professional development.
The Agency of Transportation and the Rail & Aviation Bureau has an employee-friendly telework policy, requiring staff to work from the office as little as a one day a week. The rest of the days, staff are welcome to work in the office or work from their productive home offices. Occasional, on-location site visits may be necessary during construction season and design development.
Who May Apply
This position, Civil Engineer I (#40463), is open to all State employees and external applicants.
Please Note: This position is being recruited at multiple levels. If you would like to be considered for more than one level, you MUST apply to the specific Job Requisition.
- Civil Engineer I (#40463)
- Civil Engineer II (#40642)
- Civil Engineer III (#40643)
If you would like more information about this position, please contact Paul Libby at .
Resumes will not be accepted via e-mail. You must apply online to be considered.
Duties are generally performed in both office and field settings for which private means of transportation must be available. Fieldwork may involve exposure to hazardous materials, traffic hazards, and construction sites during all weather conditions and may involve traversing rough terrain and bodies of water. Some work outside of regular working hours, including attendance at public meetings, may be required. Strong differences of opinion may be encountered on a regular basis.
Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, construction management, architectural engineering, or related technical field.
Associates degree in civil engineering, construction management, architectural engineering, or related technical field AND two (2) years of experience in engineering OR licensure as an Engineer Intern.
College senior in the final year of a bachelor’s degree program in civil engineering, construction management, architectural engineering, or related technical field.
Candidate in final year of bachelor’s degree must successfully graduate prior to start date.
As a State employee you are offered a great career opportunity, but it’s more than a paycheck. The State’s total compensation package features an outstanding set of employee benefits that are worth about 30% of your total compensation, including:
- 80% State paid medical premium
- Dental Plan at no cost for employees and their families
- Flexible Spending healthcare and childcare reimbursement accounts
- Two ways to save for your retirement: A State defined benefit pension plan and a deferred compensation 457(b) plan
- Work/Life balance: 11 paid holidays each year and a generous leave plan; many jobs also allow for a flexible schedule
- Low cost group life insurance
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Incentive-based Wellness Program
- Qualified Employer for Public Service Student Loan Forgiveness Program
Want the specifics? Explore the on our website.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The State of Vermont celebrates diversity, and is committed to providing an environment of mutual respect and meaningful inclusion that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. The State does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, membership in an employee organization, family medical history or genetic information, or family or parental status. The State’s employment decisions are merit-based. Retaliatory adverse employment actions by the State are forbidden.
About the Company
Company: State of Vermont
Company Location: Barre, VT