Business Development Manager, Aviation Job at TYLin Los Angeles, CA
TYLin is a full-service, professional engineering firm focused on the planning, design, and construction of infrastructure solutions for public and private clients worldwide. The firm is an internationally recognized pioneer in solving the most difficult engineering challenges. Headquartered in San Francisco, California for over 65 years, TYLin has more than 3,200 professionals throughout the Americas, Asia, and Europe. TYLin is a member of Dar Group, a global, privately-owned professional services group, and its industry-leading family of Global Infrastructure companies.
TYLin is seeking a Sector Manager for the West area to lead business development efforts, provide services as a Senior Project Manager on engineering projects and manage the day-to-day operations of the Sector. This position can be based out of any office in our West area, but may require travel to other offices from time to time.
This is a key position, requiring a proven seller/doer and top performer who is well established in the area to provide leadership and management of the Sector. This position requires experience in aviation engineering practice growth, broader team development, and a sound understanding of the market and project delivery. The individual must demonstrate leadership in the pursuit of aviation projects and project delivery. This individual will collaborate nationally on strategic pursuits and support delivery of those projects as needed. The duties include client development, proposal support, day-to-day operations of the Sector with focus on performance optimization, and management of projects and project teams.
- Responsible for the sector financial performance at an area level.
- Forecast sector area level of performance, ensure accurate budgeting, revenue recognition, and preparation of inputs to monthly/quarterly/annual forecasts at the Sector level.
Business Development/Strategic Management:
- Serve as TYLI’s industry Sector representative in the area and collaborate with peers in other Sectors at the area level and Sector specific colleagues to provide guidance, leverage technical expertise, ensure client satisfaction, and implement best practices within the Sector and across the area.
- Work with the Sector Leader on developing the Sector’s strategic plan, with inputs from the area market. Implement the strategic plan to drive growth, backlog and sales in the market sector area and all market sectors across the area.
- Manage at the area level, the Sector’s client management program and business development activities.
- Promote the TYLin brand and build relationships with key clients and industry organizations to pursue opportunities and grow the business.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other Sector Managers to maximize cross-selling and capture initiatives to offer integrated services to clients with an area.
- Manage and capture strategies for key pursuits.
- Develop Sector and area level industry relationships, promote technical practices, innovation, sharing and knowledge management.
- May lead a technical practice center of excellence to build market sector technical capability.
- Define commercial terms and mitigate risks during the pursuit process.
- Coordinate support, by providing coaching and guidance to project managers within an area, specifically on project performance, EACs and project reviews, revenue recognition, risk and claims (w/Legal), and cash and collections.
- Oversee and manage Sector risk, legal and proposal/contract approval processes.
Human Resources Management:
- Direct Reports include Project Managers, Business Developers, Technical Experts.
- Attract, develop, and retain industry technical talent to strengthen the TYLin brand and performance.
- Provide leadership and management of project managers, business developers, technical staff, and other market sector employees within an area to ensure client, operational, technical, and project delivery excellence.
- Proactively support all TYLin talent programs and processes, including OHSE.
- Reinforce collaboration through diverse and inclusive teams that strive for technical excellence.
Technical, Project and Quality Management:
- Provide project management, including interface with clients and the development of project scope, schedule, and budgets.
- Manage the development of production work plans, schedules, and budgets.
- Work with project managers and senior management to establish contract budgets and scopes of work.
- Support project managers and senior management as required for successful project delivery and client satisfaction.
- Responsible for the successful completion of projects under his/her direction. Provide leadership to project teams. Oversee performance of complex design.
- Oversee staff utilization and provide timekeeping approval.
- Provide input for annual planning and quarterly forecasting.
- Collaborate regionally, nationally and internationally on pursuits, including programs, and sustainability initiatives.
- Conduct all technical analyses, documentation and client relationships following TYLin’s quality assurance and quality control processes.
- Supervise group leaders and administrative staff and prepare coordinate annual employee performance reviews.
- Other duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in engineering.
- PE license preferred.
- 15+ years of aviation design, construction and project management leadership required.
- Successful experience managing aviation design projects and design teams is essential.
- Existing relationships with local engineering clients preferred, as well as knowledge of their policies and procedures.
- Must have extensive experience leading highly technical teams and strong oral and written communication skills.
- Client focused, always striving to give clients the best solutions.
- Strong commitment to innovation by creating new and better ways to solve clients’ toughest challenges.
- High levels of integrity, always doing the right thing in an ethical, fair, and sustainable way.
- Demonstrated experience of collaboration in a diverse and inclusive team, working together toward technical excellence.
TYLin is an equal opportunity employer and we prohibit discrimination and harassment of any type as protected by federal, state, or local laws. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. TYLin remains committed to complying with all local health authority, legal or lawful client requirements, as such this role may be situated in a jurisdiction with masking or vaccinate or test requirements to attend office or client locations (controlled location). You should ask your manager about this prior to starting. Should you be subject to the requirements, you are required to disclose your vaccination status within the first week of starting or before entering a controlled location, whichever comes first.
About the Company
Company Location: Los Angeles, CA