Backscatter Scientist Job at Leidos in Vista, CA
Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient. Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best IT, energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
Driven by our talented workforce, the Security Detection & Automation Operation is the cornerstone of Leidos’ comprehensive suite of fully integrated security detection and automation solutions for aviation, ports and borders, and critical infrastructure customers around the world, with more than 24,000 products deployed across 120 countries. Leidos is positioned to address emerging and evolving threats through rapid development of innovative solutions for our global customers. Leidos’ SDA Operation, in conjunction with the TSA, also performs on-call, onsite installation servicing of X- Ray Detection Equipment using leading edge technology to ensure the safety of our clients, customer and passengers. The Security Detection and Automation Operation is comprised of four divisions to align with our customers’ missions and needs:
The Leidos Security Detection & Automation (SDA) operation seeking an X-ray Backscatter Scientist in Vista, CA. Leidos designs, manufactures, and maintains an extensive product line of non-intrusive inspection equipment, radiation detection equipment, and explosives detection systems. These products employ a variety of X-ray producing machines and X-ray detectors as well as imaging techniques. The backscatter scientist will be responsible for new product development and enhancements of the backscatter product line. The successful candidate will be a key member of the SDA advanced development group with primary responsibilities for research and development related tasks. These will include product specifications, system modelling, algorithm development, and providing guidance to product development engineers.
The Backscatter Scientist will:
- Provide vision for the backscatter product line and establish product requirements
- Perform theoretical modeling for complex designs and verification of concepts
- Join the core development team and provide expertise for key component design requirements
- Design and execute key experiments to verify theoretical models
- Join the product development team in support of the prototyping process
- Collaborate with a team of scientists and engineers in order to develop proof of concept, prototype, and production-ready systems
- Lead preliminary and critical design reviews during the product development process
- Follow established SDA ISO processes
- Provide regular project technical status reports to management
- Make the world safer, healthier, and more efficient through information technology, engineering, and science
Required Education & Experience:
- Master’s degree in engineering, computer science, physics, or closely related field w/ 6+ yrs relevant experience
- 5+ years of experience in the area of backscatter technology
- Strong knowledge with statistics, modeling (Geant/MCMP)
- Hands on experiences in experimental physics
- Knowledge of radiation sources, flying spot design, and large area detector solutions
Desired Education & Experience:
- Doctorate in engineering, computer science, physics, or closely related field
- Strong knowledge in backscatter techniques
- Experience with innovative solutions and problem solving techniques
- Familiarity with Product Development Process.
External Referral Bonus:
Potential for Telework:
Clearance Level Required:
Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 38,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Va., Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $11.09 billion for the fiscal year ended January 3, 2020. For more information, visit .
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That’s why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available .
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to .
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.
About the Company
Company Location: Vista, CA