Aviation Finance Legal Counsel Job at Investec – in London
Embedded in our culture is a sense of belonging and inclusion. This creates an environment in which everyone is free to be themselves which helps to drive innovation, creativity and ultimately business performance. At Investec we want everyone to find it easy to be themselves, and to feel they belong. It’s a responsibility we all share and is integral to our purpose and values as an organisation.
Research shows that some candidates can be reluctant to apply to a role unless they meet all the criteria. We pride ourselves on our entrepreneurial spirit here and welcome you to do the same – if the role excites you, please don’t let our person specification hold you back. Get in touch!
Description of role and key responsibilities
1. Support all areas of the aviation finance business to implement various activities in ICIB and transactions effectively.
2. Finance lawyer background is fundamental in providing such support. Aviation finance’s activities are both proprietary and client focused and require working knowledge and experience of the business and a wide range of banking documentation and related transaction documentation, including term sheets, various forms of finance documents, operating leases, fund documentation, internal procedures and policies and relevant external regulatory requirements.
3. Structuring & Execution – Assisting in the execution of, structuring and arranging capital solutions for airlines, lessors, funds established by the aviation finance business and thereafter, corporate governance, portfolio and balance sheet management. Ensuring high standard of deal structuring (both commercial and legal) to ensure the Bank’s controls and risk positions is optimised. Includes DD assessment and execution – which may include liaising with internal risk to gain credit approvals and negotiation in all aspects of transaction documentation.
The role will have the primary business focuses as shown above, but is also expected to entail:
(i) Origination – building, maintaining and developing relationships – internally and externally;
(ii) Strategic & Operational – helping to deliver strategic and operational initiatives/projects to help the business grow which may include systems, training, effective corporate governance and risk management and internal processes.
(iii) Risk management and asset restructuring – where required, involvement in a portfolio risk management requirements. Working alongside asset originator(s), portfolio manager and the wider deal team (internal and external).
(iv) Team development and stakeholder management – helping develop people’s careers – understanding issues, key aspects of transaction documentation, promote teamwork and help manage support functions for the business to ensure seamless transaction support for deals – including, amongst others, GLO, company secretarial, IBP Compliance, IBP Credit and Group Tax etc.
(v) Where applicable, preparation and execution of transaction documentation for the team; including co-ordinating with external legal counsel where instructed, negotiating and agreeing transaction documents and identifying legal risks in consideration of internal credit requirements, alongside internal legal and other stakeholders.
Core skills and knowledge
- Regulatory Knowledge as applicable to role (compulsory)
- To act with integrity at all times and embrace the philosophy of treating our customers fairly (compulsory)
- Coaching & Assessment (compulsory for Line Managers and other Supervisors)
Any other attributes that would be helpful, but not essential for the role.
- Legal background and knowledge of aviation market/transactions
- Knowledge of LMA architecture and wide range of banking/finance documentation and aviation finance documentation
- Knowledge of all of Investec’s existing aviation business lines and initiatives – existing funds and ongoing funds strategy, balance sheet activity and structured finance mandates.
- Indefinite leave to remain in the UK
- Self-motivated team player
- Ability to work independently.
About the Company
Company: Investec –
Company Location: London