Aviation-Custodian Job at City of McAllen – 4.0 in McAllen, TX
Under immediate supervision, the Custodian performs custodial/janitorial duties in the terminal building to include the immediate surrounding grounds. Employee keeps buildings in clean and orderly condition and cleans offices, halls, bathrooms, as well as public and employee spaces. Employee performs light, medium and heavy janitorial and custodial services in and outside of public areas, or buildings as assigned, and performs routine maintenance activities, notifying management of need for repairs. Employee must abide by safety procedures and has daily contact with the public requiring tact, courtesy and diplomacy. Job Responsibilities
1. Cleans building floors by sweeping, moping, scrubbing, waxing and polishing them.
2. Gathers and empties trash.
3. Services, cleans and supplies restrooms.
4. Cleans and polishes furniture and fixtures.
5. Cleans windows, glass partitions, and mirrors using soapy water or other cleaners, sponges, and squeegees.
6. Dusts furniture, walls, machines and equipment.
7. Makes adjustments and minor repairs to heating, cooling, ventilating, plumbing, and electrical systems.
8. Replaces light bulbs, makes simple repairs on building, furniture and equipment.
9. Mixes water and detergents or acids in containers to prepare cleaning solutions, according to specifications.
10. Steam-Cleans or shampoos carpets.
11. Strips, seals, finish, and polish floors.
12. Subject to emergency on call (waiting to be engaged).
13. Assists other personnel in his/her department whenever necessary.
14. Maintains cleaning supplies and equipment.
15. Assists in moving heavy objects.
16. May paint shelves, walls, etc.; maintain the grounds around the building, and perform other general maintenance work of “handy person” nature.
17. Performs other related assignments as assigned. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Minimum Requirements – 1. An accredited high school diploma or GED equivalent is preferred.
2. Job requires at least six (6) months of related work experience.
3. Must be able to prepare cleaning solutions according to specifications.
4. Must know how to properly use and dispose of chemical solutions.
5. Must have static strength, manual dexterity and coordination to perform general physical activities.
6. Must use good judgment and exercise safety procedures.
7. Must maintain a responsible demeanor and a helpful manner.
8. Job requires a current, valid Texas Class C driver’s license.
9. Must pass a security clearance background check.
10. Must be able to effectively communicate in the English language. Physical Requirements
1. Job is generally indoors, but may require working outside on a regular basis.
2. Some physical activity including lifting, pushing, bending, reaching, grabbing and carrying is required on a regular basis.
3. Job requires exposure to chemical products that require knowledge and use of safety precautions.
4. Additional job physical demands are available.
1. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
2. This is a safety sensitive position subject to drug and alcohol testing.
3. This position includes working evening and/or weekends.
Vacuum cleaner, scrubber, polisher, brooms, mops, steamer, pressure washer and other hand tools and chemicals associated with janitorial and maintenance duties.
This job description summarizes essential job functions and minimum job requirements for entry level work and typical duties illustrative of the type of work customarily assigned and performed in this position. However, this job description does not represent every aspect of the job nor does it guarantee permanent employment, as all positions with the City of McAllen are employment at will positions. Job descriptions are subject to periodic updates and modifications. The City reserves the right to change work assignments and other aspects of a job. The City of McAllen is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer, and does not tolerate unlawful discrimination or harassment based on race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age or any other protected status under applicable federal, state or local laws. Application Special Instructions
About the Company
Company: City of McAllen – 4.0
Company Location: McAllen, TX