Airport Operations Specialist – Full Time Job at Region of Waterloo – in Waterloo, ON
Maintains grounds, facilities, and equipment at the Region of Waterloo International Airport (ROWIA) per Canadian Aviation Regulations, Provincial and Federal Regulations, and Regional policy and safety standards. Provides Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) and medical emergency first response services on the ROWIA site.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
- Knowledge of airport operations, procedures, and requirements; major airport components for maintaining the aerodrome, grounds, buildings, equipment, and vehicles; and communication and math skills, acquired through a Grade 12 education plus 2 years of airport related experience (e.g., combination of airport, winter maintenance, emergency service) or an equivalent combination of education and experience, such as: a Grade 12 plus 1 year of related post-secondary courses/certification (minimum 700 instruction hours) plus 1 year of related experience (e.g., combination of airport, winter maintenance, emergency service) or Grade 12 plus more than 1 year of related post-secondary education and 6 months of airport related experience (e.g., combination of airport, winter maintenance, emergency service).
- Must meet Transport Canada regulations for operating airport vehicles and machinery, acquired through ROWIA’s 7-week in-class training program, and 2 years of on-the-job related experience. (Training includes certification in Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) detailed in Transport Canada regulations, and full retraining every 3 years.) Must be able to wear a self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) to perform ARFF functions. Must complete First Responder recertification (conducted bi-annually) and annual refresher course.
- Must possess Airport Vehicle Operators Permit (AVOP) or attain within 10 days of employment at the ROWIA.
- Must possess Restricted Radio Telephone Operators Certificate, Aeronautical Class to be hired.
- Must possess Firearms Possession and Acquisition Permit within one month of employment.
- Must possess and maintain Standard First Aid & CPR Certificate to be hired.
- Must possess Valid First Responder Certificate within 6 months of employment at the ROWIA.
- Knowledge of and ability to comply with corporate policies and procedures. Familiarity with Transport Canada regulations/guidelines, including: Manual of Airport Traffic Directives, Radio Telephone Operators Handbook, Canadian Aviation Regulations, Airline Security Regulations, Aerodrome Standards and Recommended Practices, and Canadian Aviation Security Regulations.
- Understanding of Emergency Response Procedures and ability to assume the role of first responder when an emergency response is required.
- Communication skills to respond to inquiries from tenants and the public, and participate as an effective team member. Ability to read and understand written aviation weather terminology, instructions, schedules, reports, regulations, procedure manuals, equipment operator manuals, and other materials related to airport operations. Ability to maintain records and logs on airport inspections, maintenance, security, and aircraft incident reports, and write related reports as requested by supervisor.
- Ability to operate a decelerometer and surface condition reporting system.
- Must have a valid Class D drivers licence with Z airbrake endorsement, acceptable drivers abstract to operate corporate equipment, or, must have a valid G driver’s license and acceptable driving record upon hire, and attain a valid class D driver’s license with Z-air brake endorsement within probationary period (Must provide proof of successful completion of the DZ knowledge/written test and proof of a booked road test within 30 days of hire).
- Ability to work variable shifts and hours year-round, including weekends and statutory holidays.
- Ability to work overtime, rotating, extended, and irregular shifts.
- Must provide an acceptable Transport Canada Restricted Area Identification Card (RAIC) within probationary period and/or as a condition of employment.
- Ability to travel to the United States for training.
- Ability to support and demonstrate the Region’s values.
About the Company
Company: Region of Waterloo –
Company Location: Waterloo, ON