AIRCRAFT ORDNANCE SYSTEM MECHANIC Job at US Department of the Air Force – 4.4 in South Burlington, VT
THIS IS A NATIONAL GUARD TITLE 32 EXCEPTED SERVICE POSITION.
This National Guard position is for an Aircraft Ordnance Systems Mechanic, Position Description Number D1355000 and is part of the 158th Maintenance Squadron Command of the Vermont Air National Guard.
- This position is also advertised to Active Guard Reserve Airmen on MVA-AF-21-002*
The purpose of this position is to serve as shop chief over a small organizational segment in a maintenance function with responsibility for the overall shop operation.
(1) Plans and lays out work to be accomplished in the shop which is then completed by the technician and lower graded mechanic(s). Determines approaches, methods and courses of action required to accomplish the mission of the shop in an effective and efficient manner. Independently determines appropriate maintenance procedures. Estimates time, equipment and material requirements. Devises and maintains plans and records. May provide recommendations and input to supervisor concerning personnel actions such as performance appraisals, awards, position description changes, disciplinary actions, and leave.
(2) Performs the full range of shop work.
(3) Implements safety regulatory requirements. Ensures that other workers in the shop wear appropriate safety equipment and follow pertinent safety precautions.
(4) Prepares for and participates in various types of readiness evaluations, inspections, mobilization and command support exercises. May be required to perform additional duties such as structural fire fighting, aircraft fire/crash/rescue duty, security guard, snow removal, munitions loading and handling, heavy equipment operation, maintenance of facilities and equipment, or serve as a member of a team to cope with natural disasters or civil emergencies.
(5) Performs other duties as assigned.
Occasional travel – You may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
6652 Aircraft Ordnance Systems Mechanic
Conditions of Employment
This is an excepted service position that requires membership in a compatible military assignment in the employing state’s National Guard, required prior to the effective date of placement.
Selectee will be required to wear the military uniform.
Acceptance of an excepted service position constitutes concurrence with these requirements as a condition of employment.
Males born after 31 December 1959 must be registered for Selective Service.
Federal employment suitability as determined by a background investigation.
May be required to successfully complete a probationary period.
Participation in direct deposit is mandatory.
NATIONAL GUARD MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED. If you are not sure you are eligible for military membership, please contact a National Guard recruiter prior to applying for this position.
Applicants who are not currently a member of the National Guard must be eligible for immediate membership and employment in the National Guard in the military grade listed in this announcement.
Military Grades: Military grade will be individually addressed up to E7/MSgt.
Compatible Military Assignments: 2A6X3
GENERALIZED EXPERIENCE: Experience or training which demonstrates the applicant’s ability to repair malfunctions of ordnance equipment and components. Ability to use sketches, electrical diagrams, technical specifications and engineering drawings. Experience which demonstrates skill in the use of test equipment to make electrical, hydraulic, and pneumatic checks.
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE WG-11: Must have a minimum of 36 months of experience or training in planning and layout of repair sequence and ability to complete modification, repair and installation of ordnance systems. Experience in diagnosing and troubleshooting malfunctions and determining remedy where complex relationships exist. Experience in hand tools and a limited number of measuring equipment. Experience in
interpreting technical directions, blueprints, sketches, wiring diagrams and manufacturer’s specifications
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE: Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE: Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- Applicants must possess the 2A6X3 AFSC OR must be willing to attend Tech School or attain a training waiver.
- In order to be eligible, applicants must have a current military status.
Please be advised:
1. Specialized experience will be used to determine qualifications for the announced position.
2. An applicant’s RESUME must provide, in detail, how they meet the specialized experience listed.
3. It must be documented with “from (mm/yy)” and “to (mm/yy)” dates and description of the specialized experience.
4. If education or a degree is required as part of the “Specialized Experience”, you must include transcripts.
Do not copy the specialized experience qualifications word for word and place into your resume; you must describe your personal experience as it pertains to each statement.
There are no specific educational requirements for this position.
If you are a male applicant who was born after 12/31/1959 and are required to register under the Military Selective Service Act, the Defense Authorization Act of 1986 requires that you be registered or you are not eligible for appointment in this agency (https://www.sss.gov/RegVer/wfRegistration.aspx).
Vermont Air National Guard personnel who are bonus recipients/student loan repayment program recipients may have their benefits terminated and/or recouped if selected as a Permanent Military Technician. Applicants should contact the VTANG Incentive Manager to determine any possible termination and/or recoupment actions that may result from accepting this position.
Pre-Employment Physical Examinations: Individual selected must successfully complete a pre-employment physical examination in accordance with 5 CFR, Part 339 and Technician Personnel Regulation 355.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Once the announcement has closed, your resume and supporting documentation will be used to determine if you meet the qualifications listed on this announcement. If you are minimally qualified, your resume and supporting documentation will be compared to your responses on the assessment questionnaire to determine your level of experience. If you rate yourself higher than is supported by your application package, your responses may be adjusted and/or you may be excluded from consideration for this position. If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, you will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration.
Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies (knowledge, skills, abilities and other characteristics):
1. Ability to plan and accomplish a functional shop maintenance program.
2. Requires skill in surveillance and troubleshooting techniques.
Please be advised that the applicant rating will be evaluated on the following occupational competencies:
1. Technical Competence
2. Eye- Hand Coordination
3. Interpersonal Skills
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
To apply for this position, you must submit a complete Application Package which includes:
1. Resume: resume must show relevant experience, where you worked, job title, detailed duties and accomplishments written in your own words (Do not plagiarize), employer’s name and address, supervisor’s name and phone number, starting and ending dates (including Month and Year, e.g., 02/2017, Feb 2017, etc.), hours per week and salary. If you are a current Federal employee or previous Federal employee, provide your position title, pay plan, series and grade. Your detailed experience should be listed under each job title with starting and ending dates. Resume must show applicants name and contact information.
2. AGO-VT Form 690-5, Military Experience and Education Resume (All applicants, currently serving in the military, prior-service and civilians MUST complete the name block and military affiliation block of the AGO-VT Form 690-5 and sign and date the form).
3. For current Federal employees: Latest SF 50, Personnel Action.
Other supporting documents (as applicable):
Helpful Hints for Applying:
- Ensure that your resume contains your full name, address and phone.
- Include details about the experience that relates to the position you are applying for.
- Be specific and always include Month and Year for the dates of your experience.
- Be sure to include your applicable military experience and explain the duties of the MOS/AFSC held.
In describing your experience, please be clear and specific. Please note that if, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, your rating can and will be adjusted to more accurately reflect your abilities, or you may lose consideration for this position.
If you are using education to qualify for this position or education is a mandatory requirement to meet qualifications, You must submit copies of college transcripts that identify each course, the college or university, semester or quarter hours earned, grade and grade-point received. Submitting a certificate or a degree will not suffice. You must submit transcripts when required. Photocopies are acceptable.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
This job is open to
National Guard & Reserves
Current members, those who want to join, or transitioning military members.
U.S. citizens, nationals or those who owe allegiance to the U.S.
Clarification from the agency
Open to current members of the Vermont Air National Guard and all those eligible to become members.
About the Company
Company: US Department of the Air Force – 4.4
Company Location: South Burlington, VT