Aircraft Electrician (15F) Job at United States Army, Active Duty & Army Reserves – 4.3 in Chicago, IL
IMPORTANT: This is a position in the military and requires you to enlist in the US Army. It is available both on Active Duty (full-time) as well as Army Reserve (part-time, one weekend a month plus two weeks in the summer). Active Duty is almost exclusively out of state but relocation costs are fully paid by the Army. Reserve positions may be available in Chicago area (city and suburbs).
Please review the basic qualifications below before continuing to the job description.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job. Green Card Holders may apply for other positions in the Army.
- Must be between the ages of 17 – 34.
- Must have a GED, be a High School Graduate, OR have a minimum of 15 college semester hours.
- Must not have any tattoos on the neck, face, or hands.
You must meet those requirements to be eligible for this position.
The aircraft electrician is primarily responsible for supervising, inspecting and performing maintenance on aircraft electrical systems. They ensure that the electrical systems on airplanes and helicopters are properly maintained and repaired.
- Diagnose malfunctions in electrical and electronic components
- Maintain electrical/electronic elements of assemblies nickel-cadmium batteries
- Use and maintain common/special tools
- Maintain facilities for storage of flammable and hazardous materials
- Prepare requests for turn-ins and repair parts
Those who want to serve must first take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery, a series of tests that helps you better understand your strengths and identify which Army jobs are best for you.
Job training for an aircraft electrician requires 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training and 19 weeks of Advanced Individual Training with on-the-job instruction. Part of this time is spent in the classroom and in the field.
Some of the skills you’ll learn are:
- Electrical theory and system maintenance
- Troubleshooting procedures
- Soldering skills
- Preference in mathematics and shop mechanics
- Problem solving
- Ability to use hand and power tools
- Working with electrics and electronic equipment
Total compensation includes housing, medical, food, special pay, and vacation time.
Earn Cash For In Demand Jobs
You could earn up to $40,000 in cash bonuses just for enlisting under certain Military Occupational Specialties.
In the Army, qualified students can earn full-tuition, merit-based scholarships, allowances for books and fees, plus an annual stipend for living expenses.
Future Civilian Careers
The skills you learn will help prepare you for a career with intelligence agencies, commercial airlines and other organizations that have fleets of airplanes/helicopters.
PARTNERSHIP FOR YOUTH SUCCESS (PaYS) Program
Those interested in this job may be eligible for civilian employment, after the Army, by enrolling in the Army PaYS program. The PaYS program is a recruitment option that guarantees a job interview with military friendly employers that are looking for experienced and trained Veterans to join their organization. Find out more about the Army PaYS Program at http://www.armypays.com.
- AAR Aircraft Services, Inc
- LOCKHEED MARTIN
- Raytheon Company
- L-3 Communications Linguist Operations & Technical Support
Job Types: Full-time, Part-time
Pay: $30,000.00 – $60,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Parental leave
- Professional development assistance
- Relocation assistance
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable — more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented — enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Achievement-oriented — enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- A good fit for applicants with gaps in their resume, or who have been out of the workforce for the past 6 months or more
- A good job for someone just entering the workforce or returning to the workforce with limited experience and education
- Open to applicants who do not have a college diploma
Company’s Facebook page:
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
About the Company
Company: United States Army, Active Duty & Army Reserves – 4.3
Company Location: Chicago, IL